Shown below are the safety racks set up for the bench press (close grip) exercise. A wooden bench is positioned in between the bench press racks for the weightlifter to lie on. The heavy barbell is resting on the bench press rack's catches. This is the start and end position for the Close Grip Bench Press exercise using an EZ-Curl bar.
If the weightlifter is unable to continue the exercise and has no strength to return the barbell to the bench press rack catches, he may simply lower the heavy barbell so the barbell bar will rest on the safety bars without risk of injury. Shown below is the bar resting on the safety bars of the exercise racks.
How to Setup the Bench Press Fitness Gear
- Since these are freestanding racks, you need to position them precisely on the floor. This is whether to accommodate an EZ-curl bar or a standard bar. Have markers on the floor for easy positioning of the base of the racks.
- Position the bench relative to bench press racks. Since none of these fitness gear are physically attached to each other, you need to know where exactly they should be located for the exercise to be smooth and uninterrupted.
- Since the bench is just a simple wooden bench, a bit of cushion will make the exercise a bit more comfortable. Put some rubber foam floor tiles that are about 1/2" thick. The rubber foam tiles below are 12" x 12".
- Join the tiles together using their interlocking tabs so they don't move around and lay them on the bench.
Here's a list of links to my homemade gym and exercise equipment:
(with photos and how-to instructions)
- Squat Stands
Made from wood and metal fasteners. With three barbell catches.
- Weight Plates and Dumbbell Rack
Made from wood. Features a curling bar stand and sit-up bar
- Parallel Grip Pull Bar
Multi-purpose and all-metal construction. No welding required.
- Adjustable Metal Safety Squat Racks
Height-adjustable squat racks for multiple exercises. No welding required.
- Thick Bar Handles for Barbell or Dumbbells (Fat Grips)
Easy to assemble from pvc. Ideal for strong grip training.
- Physical Therapy Dumbbell Bar
Made from pvc. Accepts standard light weight plates for therapy or rehab.
- Wrist Roller
Tips for wrist, forearm and elbow therapy exercises.
This list is growing, so be sure to come back!