Puncture Wound Accident

WARNING: Not for the faint-hearted.

Almost 2 weeks ago, I had the misfortune of impaling my right foot with a steel rod that was jutting out from the side of the street. The injury for me was quite serious.

I've not had a bleeding injury this bad. I believe a scrape on the forearm I sustained while swimming was the only one I can remember where some bleeding is involved.

Vacation in Pampanga

The accident happened in Pampanga where I stayed to look after my mom. I originally planned for a one week vacation there.

As has been my routine at home, I went for walks in the morning. While outside, I noticed that some of the plants at the perimeter concrete fence were drying up.

It's probably the lack of watering or the hot weather or a combination of both that made the leaves brown. Some of the plants had entire stems all dried up that it only took a slight tug to pull these stems out.

Anyway, I somehow had this resolve make these plants green again. That meant watering the plants almost everyday and removing all the dried parts.

My Foot Injury

I was fairly successful in watering and cutting the dried leaves on the first day. On the second day, I wanted to reach the other plants but the water hose wasn't long enough. And so I passed the water hose through the perimeter fence instead of the front gate.

I knew there were steel rods jutting out vertically from the newly concreted road. Most were 6 inches or more tall. I thought there was only one rod per concrete bracing.

One thing I didn't notice was there was one bracing that had TWO rods. And the other rod was only around 2 inches long. And I didn't notice THAT rod.

Here are the two rods (they were bent and hammered after the accident to prevent any more). See how thick those rods are.

Long story short, I accidentally stepped on the shorter rod. It went through my sandal and into the sole of my right foot.

The right foot was bleeding profusely when I managed to get into the house. I washed the foot before going to the ER. Here's how the bottom of my foot looked like after getting back from the hospital.

Here's the bottom of the sandal I was wearing showing the hole where the steel rod went through.

It took a good two weeks before the wound finally closed and dried. It took another week for all the bruising to go away. For now I'm still treating the puncture wound.

Go ahead, post your comment below!